Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

When you arrive

Home / Admissions / International students / Pre-Arrival Guide / When you arrive
Three University of Sunderland in London students walking in Canary Wharf

At the airport

Regardless of the airport you arrive at, please familiarise yourself with the rules and regulations they provide.

You can find information for each of London's airports at: 

If you develop symptoms of COVID-19 while travelling to the UK, you need to inform the crew on your plane, boat, train or bus.

They will let staff at the airport, port or station know, who should tell you what to do when you arrive. Once you're in the UK, go straight to the place you're staying. Only use public transport if there is no other option.

If you have to use public transport, wear something that covers your nose and mouth and stay at least two metres apart from other people.

Make sure you've packed a face covering or scarf to cover your nose and mouth before you travel. If you have symptoms of COVID-19 you won't be allowed to travel on public transport.

You can find more information about London's public transport at Transport for London.

You can also book taxis through Airport Taxis or Addison Lee, among others.


Arrivals from countries on the UK Government’s red list are required to self-isolate in a quarantine hotel. To know if you need to self-isolate when you arrive in the UK, please check the government’s list of countries. 

Please keep checking this as the information changes regularly. 

Police registration

If you're a new student and your nationality is listed on the UKVI website you have to apply for Police Registration within seven days of your arrival. You can start the process on the Metropolitan Police website.

If you've been in the UK before on a short-term visa that didn't require you to register, and you have now received a new visa or Biometric Residence Permit, you also have to complete the online form.

You'll receive an email confirming the details of your appointment within ten working days of the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) receiving your application. If you don't get this email, it's recommended that you send a new application.

If you're a continuing student and you need to update your Police Registration certificate, you can do so on the Metropolitan Police website.

Please note: It is compulsory to apply for Police Registration and maintain the validity of your Police Registration Certificate if you are a national who is required to register. Failure to comply may result in your arrest and render you liable to a fine of £5,000 and/or up to six months imprisonment. 

Support through self-isolation

If you have to self-isolate when you get to the UK, you cannot leave your accommodation for 10 days.

You won't be able to visit public places, including supermarkets. With that in mind, you'll need to order your food shopping through online delivery. There are many supermarkets that offer this service in the UK.

Alternatively, you could ask a friend who isn't self-isolating to collect food for you and drop it off at your accommodation.

If you choose this option, please make sure you maintain social distancing at all times.

Contact us

The University’s main contact number is: 0207 5317 333

Please ask to be transferred to the department you want to speak with.


Please note: All calls to The Gateway, The Library and Reception are recorded for training and quality purposes. Read more (.pdf)

Emotional support

Self-isolating can bring about its own challenges. This is particularly true if you weren't expecting to have to do it.

The University's Health and Wellbeing team can provide you with confidential support and advice and are trained in a range of therapeutic practices.

You can book a one-to-one appointment with the team at 0207 531 7343 or email them on londonhealth@sunderland.ac.uk.

Emergency support

If you're concerned about your health or starting to feel unwell, you can call 111 for information.

If you develop symptoms of COVID-19, you can order a test through the Coronavirus Testing Contact Centre on 119

You can request a test to be sent to your accommodation.

Call 119 to receive your test results, which take approximately 72 hours to be returned to you.

If you're having any other emergency and need urgent care, please phone 999.


If you're self-isolating in private accommodation, you'll have to arrange for food, toiletries and other essentials to be delivered to you.

There are several supermarkets, grocers and food delivery services which offer this service:

  • Tesco - includes non-grocery items
  • Asda - also has non-food products available
  • Iceland - offers next day delivery
  • Coop - offers same or next day delivery
  • Deliveroo prepared food, takeaways, fast food and some grocery items. They delivery within an hour or so
  • Just Eat - similar to Deliveroo, though often with a different range to choose from.

Our Tips for your Online Order:

  • You'll need to register for an account before you can make an order.
  • Choose the date and time of your delivery.
  • Most delivery services charge a fee, although some will offer free delivery when you spend over a certain amount.
  • As some slots can be very popular, we recommend you set up an online account before you leave for the UK. You can even make an order before you depart, but be sure to choose a delivery date and time that you're certain to be in your UK accommodation.
  • A lot of services offer contact-free delivery, but check before you order.
  • Check your order for any dietary requirements. Most services offer food for a wide range of needs.