Skip to content

What kind of visa do I need to study in the UK?

Home / FAQs / Info for international students / Visa preparation and CAS number / Which visa do I need

There are two types of visa that you can apply to study in the UK. These are:

Student visa

This visa is for students over 16 years old who have been offered a place on a course that is longer than six months in length.

Short Term Study Visa (STSV)

This visa is for short term courses such as an English Language course. It is not designed for doing research as part of a degree. These visas are normally valid for a period of either six months or eleven months.

Find out more information about visas.