Skip to content

Student Accommodation

Student Accommodation

Moving to London to study means you need to find a place to live. Although we don't have our own halls of residence, there are loads of options for you to think about when choosing your accommodation.

Top-tips for international students

It can be difficult for international students to visit their accommodation beforehand. If that includes you, we strongly advise you do plenty of research to make sure your potential accommodation is right for you. 

Review sites, like Ask Tenants or Marks out of Tenancy will give you a good idea of the history of the rental, and sites like All Agents and Trust Pilot let you check the reputation of the letting agent.

You could be asked to provide the following documentation: 

  • Confirmation letter from the University
  • Bank statements
  • Reference
  • Identification documents (driving license, passport etc)
  • Guarantor – this is someone who can provide financial backup

Before you decide on your accommodation, make sure you think about what you'll need to bring with you, for example, bedding and kitchen utensils. Not all accommodation will be furnished, so check with your letting agent what will be provided.

University of Sunderland in London student in his accommodation

Accommodation to suit all

There are loads of accommodation types to choose from in London. Whether you get furnished or unfurnished, shared or private will depend entirely on your needs.

Typical accommodation types for students include private student housing, flat and house shares and even hostels. You also need to think about the cost of bills, including gas, electricity, internet and phone line.

Some accommodation will include all bills in the cost of the rent, others will require you to set them up and pay for them yourself. Depending on which accommodation you choose, you might be able to share your bills with your flatmates.

Two people in suits shaking hands

Letting agents

When renting a property in London, it's common to go through a letting agent. They act as a go-between with yourself and the landlord, helping you to guarantee a safer, more reliable service. They show you properties in your price range and preferred location and hold your deposit (typically two-months rent) until the end of your tenancy.

Be aware

Letting agents charge a fee which will differ depending on the quality of service they provide. Make sure you shop around and read reviews to find the letting agent that suits you.

Two University of Sunderland in London students in their flatshare

Sharing is caring

Renting accommodation can be very expensive. That's why many students take on flat or house shares to save costs. In flatshares, bills are typically split between occupants.

You can choose to live with fellow students or working professionals, in mixed or single-sex accommodation, with a large or small group of people. There are loads of websites, like Spare Room, to help you find the place for you.

Be aware

If you're thinking about sharing accommodation, make sure you meet the people you could be living with first.

Student hall in London from Londonist


Londonist DMC is a student accommodation agency providing students with short and long-term accommodation, from of minimum of two weeks. They are leaders in finding the greatest “home far from home” for their students while offering a 5 stars experience.

They have over 20 locations across London, with a portfolio that includes student residences in King’s Cross, Spitalfields, Lewisham, Greenwich, Stratford and more. They have stylish en-suites, studios and apartment rooms. The residents can use all the amazing facilities such as gym, cinema, social and study spaces, and rely on a 24/7 security team. Other additional services they provide include airport transfers, insurance and more

Find out more