Skip to content

Health and Wellbeing

It is important to look after yourself when you are studying. We know that there may be times when you need some extra help. 



Confidential support

We offer information, advice and guidance on a range of wellbeing related topics. Below you will find a brief description of what support is offered and any associated definitions. We are your first point of contact for wellbeing related concerns and will ensure that you are supported throughout your time at the University of Sunderland in London.

The Health and Wellbeing team run events and campaigns every semester to raise awareness of public health and wellness related topics to empower our student body.

The primary areas in which support is given are:

  • Lift Access if you have a health and wellbeing need that may prevent you from taking the stairs
  • Advice about Disability Student Allowance (DSA) and how to apply
  • Specific learning differences (including Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia)
  • Mental health difficulties (including stress, anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, self-harm, eating and personality disorders)
  • Physical disability including mobility issues
  • Issues with substance misuse and addiction
  • Long and short term illnesses
  • Diet and nutrition
  • Domestic violence or abuse
  • Sexual health
  • Advice about housing and if you are at risk of homelessness

We offer:

  • We offer a confidential space to talk if you have concerns or worries
  • We will listen to you and can help you to make a plan going forward
  • You can register with Health and Wellbeing; you may also receive reasonable adjustments, which provide support in both the classroom and in exams
  • We can signpost you to external support services in your local community
  • If you are concerned about someone else, please come to us for help and advice

Getting reasonable adjustments in place:

In order to register with Health and Wellbeing and to obtain reasonable adjustments, we request some personal details about you and your health needs. All personal information will be handled and stored in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and GDPR 2018.

Examples of personal information we may request from you, include*:

  • Medical evidence from your health professional (GP, Specialist Consultant, Care Coordinator, Occupational Therapist, Counsellor/Therapist)
  • Evidence from an Educational Psychologist of a Specific Learning Difficulty (for instance, a Post-16 Assessment)
  • Diagnostic reports or evidence related to caring responsibility


Medical letters need to be:

    • Printed on letter headed paper
    • Signed by your health professional
    • Stamped by your surgery/practice.


Letters should also state the nature of your diagnosis or condition(s), (long or short term), the impact of your diagnosis or condition(s) on your day-to-day life and recommendations for how we may be able to support you while you study at UoSiL. We will then discuss with you the reasonable adjustments that we may be able to put in place.

*Please note: this is not an exhaustive list and evidence required may vary depending on your medical circumstances.

Get in touch

If you or anyone is in immediate danger of hurting themselves or others:

  • Call 999 to request an ambulance if you are unable to reach the hospital yourself
  • Present directly to the Accident & Emergency (A&E) department of your local hospital to get help


How you can access support from the Health and Wellbeing Team:

  • Face-to-face meetings (drop-in or booked appointments)
  • Phone: 0207 531 7343
  • Wellbeing email
  • Referral from a relevant staff member (For instance, Faculty or Admissions)

Links and further information

Links to DSA information and forms:

Disability Support Allowance (DSA) is a grant issued by Student Finance England (SFE) where you can get additional funding that may support you with your academic progress, depending on need and evidence. You can apply for DSA to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long-term illness or any other disability. This funding allows you to invest in your support required to manage course work and assignments better. We support you with information on Disability Student Allowance (DSA) and guide you to fill out the form.

Overview of the DSA

Information on how to claim DSA

Help finding a DSA assessment centre


Links to other web pages/support, which may be useful:

  • The Samaritans provide nationwide confidential emotional support 24/7
  • Sane is a national out-of-hours mental health helpline giving wellbeing support: 

You can also call Samaritans for free: 116 123 or call Saneline: 0300 304 7000

  • Mind is a mental health charity that provides counselling support. You can call them on 020 8853 1735
  • The Rethink Mental Illness advice and information service offers practical help on a wide range of topics such as The Mental Health Act, community care, welfare benefits, and carers rights.
  • For bereavement support, contact Cruse Bereavement. You can call them on 0808 808 1677
  • If you need housing advice or are at risk of homelessness, get in touch with Shelter. You can contact Shelter on 0808 800 4444


Call StreetLink: 0300 500 0914


  • Emotional Support for people between 15 – 25 years, contact The Mix:
  • Supportive Online Community where you can be yourself. Run by Mind:
  • If you are a carer or have caring responsibilities, please find information and support on:

Call the Mix (free): 0808 808 4994