City of London at night

Working in the UK during your studies is a great way to earn extra income, improve your language skills, make new friends and build a great curriculum vitae.

EU and EEA students

If you are a national of any country in the European Union or European Economic Area, or if you are from Switzerland, you do not need any special permission to work in the UK. You will have all the same employment rights as UK nationals.

Working while on a Tier 4 visa

If you study in the UK and you are from outside of the EU and EEA, you will usually have a Tier 4 visa. With a Tier 4 visa you can work for up to 20 hours per week during term time, and you can work full-time during vacation periods. Please be aware that some modules may finish before the end of term. Therefore you might have finished your classes, but not officially be in vacation time. You must check the University term dates before you start any full-time work.

Working while on a Student Visitor Tier 4 visa

If you have a Student Visitor Tier 4 visa, which is usually given to students who wish to study for less than six months, you will not be allowed to do any paid work.

Working while on a Dependants Tier 4 visa

If you bring dependant members of your family with you to the UK while you are studying, they will require a Dependants Tier 4 visa to work. A dependant may work full-time during both term time and vacation periods. There are no restrictions placed on how many hours they can work. The Home Office defines ‘dependants’ as a wife, husband, civil partner, same-sex partner, unmarried partner, or child under the age of 18.

For more information, please check the visas section of this website.