Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

Before you get here

Home / International / Pre-Arrival Guide / Before you get here
Two University of Sunderland in London students laughing


Before you come to the UK you'll need to complete a Public Health Passenger Locator Form.

The government will use the information you provide to contact you if a passenger on your flight, ship or train tests positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19).

This forms cannot be submitted until 48 hours before your arrival time in the UK.

Preparation for arrival


The University of Sunderland in London does not have designated accommodation for students, nor can we help students find accommodation. Whilst it is your responsibility to find accommodation for yourself and any dependants you bring with you, we can recommend some websites to get started:





Check our Accommodation page for more info: https://london.sunderland.ac.uk/international-help-advice/accommodation/

Documents you will need when you travel

  • A valid passport with a visa or UK entry clearance
  • Your travel tickets
  • Vaccination certificates (if required)
  • Your CAS letter (letter of Acceptance to the University of Sunderland in
  • London)
  • Your evidence used to apply for your visa (such as bank statements,
  • degree certificates, sponsor letter etc)
  • Any UKVI letters you have received regarding your visa application

Equipment for your studies

PC, laptop or tablet

We recommend all students bring or buy laptops to aid their studies. They are much better than smartphones for attending online lectures as well as completing written assignments that you will need to submit for assessment. Please make sure you have a PC, laptop or tablet available before your induction.

If you are unable to purchase a laptop, you may be able to request a student laptop loan from our TechGuru IT department, however there can be a waiting list for these due to high demand, and it is not guaranteed you will receive one. You can get in touch with Tech Guru through the IT Service Desk.

Because of this, we recommend you bring or purchase your own laptop or PC if you can.


Mobile phones

Please check your mobile phone will work in the UK. You may be charged international rates if you use your data, make calls or send texts. This can be very expensive, so check your plan.

Think about getting a UK SIM card or mobile plan that you can use on your arrival. If you get a UK SIM card or change your contact phone number, please make sure you update your contact details on e:Vision.



You will need to make sure your accommodation has an internet connection/WiFi. This is because we still operate on hybrid learning (this means we have classes both on campus and online). You are welcome to come and study on Campus in our library, but an internet connect in your accommodation is best for working in your own time, as our building is only open 8am – 8pm.

Paying for things

You might not be able to use your debit or credit card in the UK (depending on your bank). It's a good idea to have a small amount of UK currency ready for emergencies.

Your home bank might not be accepted in the UK or could incur charges if it is accepted. Check with your bank in advance.

Prepaid cards are reloadable money cards which you add cash to and top up when your funds run out.

You can use a prepaid card for in-person and online payments. They can be purchased online so you can buy one from your home country and transfer money to it before you arrive in the UK.

Pre-paid cards are designed for everyday spending and there's usually a limit to how much you can load. If you've not loaded your prepaid card, you can't spend on it.

This makes them very useful if you're trying to stick to a budget. Make sure you can use your pre-paid card in the UK before you buy it.

Some examples of pre-paid cash cards include: 

Cards with the Visa or Mastercard symbol are commonly accepted in the UK.