Senior Lecturer/Programme Manager (Postgraduate Healthcare and Nursing Programmes)
I am a Registered Nurse, Registered Sick Children Nurse, Registered Nurse Teacher and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I have 32 years of experience as a nurse, 25 years in clinical practice in various positions and seven years of experience working in Higher Education.
I began my career in 1990 and practised as an Adult and Paediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Nurse. I am currently the Programme Manager of MSc Public Health, MSc Nursing and BSc (Hons) Nursing (Top-Up) programmes at the University of Sunderland in London, providing operational academic leadership and management in line with faculty plans and objectives.
Teaching and supervision
- MSc Public Health
- MSc Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Top-Up)
My teaching focuses on nursing, professional practice and clinical skills.
My research interests centre on the care of children with the rare genetic disorder congenital hyperinsulinism. This is a condition that affects the pancreas, causing it to produce too much insulin.
I am also interested in the research of Nursing and Public Health Higher Education and simulation teaching.
- - Arafat, Y., Singh, R., Menon, V., Sivasubramanian, M. and Kabir, R. (n.d.). Panic buying research: A systematic review ofsystematic reviews. South East Asia Journal of Medical Sciences, 6(1).
- A Review of Congenital Hyperinulinism (in print)
- - Pudner’s Nursing the surgical patient 4th edition: Care of the patient requiring thoracic surgery (2020) I.Peate and J.Macleod Book Chapter
- Acute and critical care nursing at a glance (2018) H.Dutton and J.Finch Book Chapter
- - Mafuba, K., Gates, B. and Sivasubramanian, M. (2016) Report of a mixed methods systematic review of literature to inform the development of ‘sustainable safe staffing’ guidance in learning disability (LD) services for NHS Improvement. London: University of West London / NHS Improvement.
- - Vinnakota, D., Parsa, A., Arafat, S., Sivasubramanian, M. and Kabir, R., 2021. COVID-19 and risk factors of suicidal behavior in UK: A content analysis of online newspaper. Journal of Affective Disorders Reports, 4, p.100142.
- - Kabir, R., Isha, S.N., Chowdhury, M.T.H., Siddika, N., Jahan, S.S., Saha, A.K., Nath, S.K., Jahan, M.S., Sivasubramanian, M., Mahmud, I. and Hoque Apu, E. (2021). Depression among the Non-Native International Undergraduate Students Studying Dentistry in Bangladesh. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(11), p.5802.
- - Vinnakota, D., Arafat, S.M.Y., Kar, S.K., Sivasubramanian, M., Hossain, S.R., Parsa, A.D. and Kabir, R. (2021). Pornography and Sexual Violence Against Women in India: A Scoping Review. Journal of Psychosexual Health, 3(3), pp.216–221.
- - Hakkim, S., Arafat, S.M.Y., Mahmud, I. Sathian, B. Sivasubramanian, M., Kabir, R. (2022) Pornography addiction: Its effects on Sexual Health Journal of Psychosexual Health
Conference presentations and/or papers
- - 2018 Congenital Hyperinsulinism Family Conference Athens, Greece- Presented ‘what’s new with devices, Glucometers and Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems.
- - Human Patient Simulation Network 2018 CAE Conference- Presented a paper on ‘Does the use of simulation as an approach to teaching and learning, enhance student’s understanding of and the application of physiology in relation to patient assessment?’
- - 5th Annual Simulation Conference (hosted by Homerton University Hospital NHS Trust) - poster presentation on experience of in-situ simulation practice 2013
- - Registered Nurse and Midwife from CSI Kalyani General Hospital School of Nursing, Tamilnadi, India
- - DipHE in Paediatric Sick Children Nurse from London South Bank University
- - PICU course from London South Bank University
- - Paediatric Pain Management from London South Bank University
- - Mentoring and Enabling Learning in the Practice Setting - London South Bank University
- - PGDip strategic leadership and management – Barking and Dagenham College (Northampton University)
- - PGCE Higher education - City University
- - MSc Nursing Professional Practice – University of West London
- - Currently studying for my PhD at University College London
- Fellow of Advance HE (formerly the Higher Education Academy)
Membership of prosessional bodies
- Registered General Nurse, Registered Children's Nurse and Nurse Teacher on the Nursing and Midwifery Council
- - Reviewer for British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing
- - Reviewer for National Institute for Health and Research and the Health Service and Delivery Research programme
- - Reviewer for Nursing Children and Young People RCN Publishing
- - Reviewer for Elsevier E-learning module for paediatric competencies
- - Editorial Board Member for Elsevier E-learning
- - Honorary researcher at the Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Trust
I am an External Examiner for Oxford Brookes University and the University of Sheffield, responsible for reviewing both their pre-registration and post-registration programmes.