Lecturer (Tourism and Hospitality)
I am a Lecturer in the Tourism, Hospitality and Events department, and teach across a variety of modules in both our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. I have on-campus programme responsibilities for our MSc in Tourism and Hospitality which includes planning and managing dissertation supervision.
I hold a masters with distinction in Cultural Tourism Development and completed my undergraduate degree in Tourism Management with first-class honours from the University of Sunderland. As a proud Sunderland alumna, I joined the University of Sunderland in London in 2012. I also worked as a Visiting Lecturer at the University of Westminster and London Metropolitan University.
Teaching and supervision
I teach on the following courses:BSc (Hons) International Tourism and Hospitality Management
My current research interests centre around cities and their often challenging relationship with tourism. This can be seen in recent debates on over tourism and an increasing interest in exploring neighbourhoods off the beaten tourist path.
I'm also passionate about the reuse of post-industrial urban spaces through cultural events including the arts and gastronomy with a focus on street food.
- Mitsche, N., Vogt, F., Knox, D. Cooper, I., Lombardi, P. and Ciaffi, D. (2013). Intangibles – Enhancing access to cities’ cultural heritage through interpretation. International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research 7(1), pp. 68-77.
- Sima, C., Vogt, F. (2017) The symbiotic relationship between unusual venues and street food: the case of Street Feast in London. In Frost, V. and Laing, J. (eds.) Exhibitions, Trade Fairs and Industrial Events. Routledge Advances in Event Research. Routledge: London.
Conference or Workshop Item
- Sima, C., Vogt, F. (2017). Vlogging representations of the dismal experience: Dismaland from a different angle! Research Symposium Tourism, Hospitality and Events – Border Crossings & Inter-Connections, 24 May 2017, Sunderland, United Kingdom.
- Mitsche, N., Vogt, F., Knox, D., Cooper, I., Lombardi, P., Ciaffi, D. (2009). Intangibles – Enhancing access to cities’ cultural heritage through interpretation. Sharing Cultures 2009 – International Conference on Intangible Heritage, 29 May – 1 June 2009, Pico Island, Portugal.
- Vogt, F. 2011. Exploring visitors' experiences in off the beaten track areas in London and Berlin. In Conference Proceedings for 1st Doctoriales of the UNESCO Chair ‘Tourism, Culture and Development’, Tourism - Concepts and Methods at the Disciplinary Crossroads (14-16 September 2011, Paris, France). Available online.
- Mitsche, N., Vogt, F., Knox, D., Paskaleva, K., Lombardi, P. and Ciaffi, D. (2009) Interpretative strategies for the cities of Amsterdam, Leipzig and Genoa. Project Report. ISAAC Project.
While doing my masters at the University of Sunderland, I started to take on an active role as a research assistant in the development of the EU-funded research project ISAAC (Integrated e-Services for Advanced Access to Heritage in Cultural Tourist Destinations). This aimed to develop an online platform to co-create and enable access to the cultural heritage of three European cities for both residents and visitors.