Lecturer (Postgraduate Nursing)
I am a lecturer in public health at the University of Sunderland in London focusing on postgraduate courses.
My background is in higher education, with previous roles in public health and health promotion for the School of Health Sciences at Robert Gordon University among others.
I have done extensive field research in:
Social determinants of health
Behaviour change communications
Health systems management and development
Community development policy and practice
I have published in many peer-reviewed journals including the International Journal of Health and Management, the South African Medical Journal and the Practice Nurse Journal.
- Assan J. and Assan S (2009) Health Inequality in Resource Poor Environment and the Pursuit of the MDGs: Traditional versus Modern Health Care in Rural Indonesia. Journal of Health Management, 11, 1(2009) 93 – 108.
- Assan, S. (March 2007) Psychosocial Factors and their Health Impact on Children and Youth in Street Business in Ghana. UNICEF Quarterly Review Vol. 25: 4.
- Assan S. and Kraszewski S. (2006) Sexually Transmitted Infection: Prevention and Management in Primary Care. Practice Nurse Journal; Vol. 32a: 5
- Assan S. and Kraszewski S. (2006) Understanding HIV in Primary Care. Practice Nurse Journal; Vol. 32b: 6
- Assan S. and Kraszewski S. (2006) Managing Patients with Hepatitis B in Primary Care. Practice Nurse Journal; Vol. 32c: 7
- Assan, S. (2001) Assessing the Quality of Care for People with Sexually Transmitted Infection and HIV/AIDS in Northern Cape Province, South Africa. Health Systems Trust/Department of Health Annual Monitoring Report. South African Medical Journal Vol. 146: 16.
Current ongoing Research:
- Assan S., Torrance N., Owusuaa Asante M. A., 2022. Lived Experience of People who Abuse Tramadol in Ghana: An Interpretative Phenomenological Study
My areas of expertise include:
- Public health
- Health promotion
- HIV prevention behaviour
- Health inequality
Before joining the University of Sunderland in London, I was a Senior Lecturer in Public Health and Social Care at London Metropolitan University’s School of Social Professions.
I was also a course leader for the MSc Public Health and BSc Public Health programmes at Anglia Ruskin University from 2007 to 2015.
Additionally, between 2012 to 2015 I was the Director of the Centre for Postgraduate Studies and International Business at MAHSA University in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Before that, I was a Project Officer with organisations including the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) and Project Reach-Out-Canada from 1997 to 2000.